The Infantry Assault Badge (German: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen) was a German war badge awarded to Waffen SS and Wehrmacht Heer soldiers during World War II. This decoration was instituted on December 20, 1939 by the Oberstbefehlshaber des Heeres, Generalfeldmarschall von Brauchitsch. It could be awarded to members of non-motorized Infantry units and units of the Gebirgsjäger that had participated in Infantry assaults, with light Infantry weapons, on at least three days of battle in the front line as from January 1, 1940. When a counter offensive led to fighting at short distance, it could also apply. Award of the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen was authorized at regimental command level or above. The first two awards were given to an officer and an enlisted soldier on a special occasion on May 28, 1940, by von Brauchitsch himself.
The badge was designed by the company C. E. Junker of Berlin. It is oval in shape, with four oak leaves on each side; on the top is an eagle standing on a swastika and there is a rifle across the badge. The reverse of the badge is plain and has a pin attached to it. With the institution of the Ordensgesetz of 1957, German military personnel were permitted to wear de-nazified versions of German decorations. Also the Infanterie- Sturmabzeichen was produced from 1957 as a de-nazified version in Silver and Bronze, without the eagle and the Swastika.
Free Shipping on this item!